Making a training plan for 2024 is one of the actions to enhance the skills of your collaborators. However, implementing a training plan is not easy. Lack of motivation, new work modalities, digital transformation or the few available resources, make training a luxury that few companies can be granted. However, the training plan has an essential purpose: align people with business objectives to achieve success.
For any company, enhancing and strengthening the skills of its workers is a cornerstone of its development. Knowledge is a valuable asset and is necessary in every company. According to data from a study prepared by Manpower the year 2022 to 49 thousand people in 41 countries, revealed that 77% of the companies surveyed report a shortage of talent with the skills required for the job position.
Faced with this scenario, developing training is one of the strategies to close skills gaps. According to the same study, employers are addressing this deficit investing in its people “now more than ever”. 72% of respondents are already taking actions to improve the capabilities and skills of their workforce.
In short, make a training plan will help your organization have a clear and concrete roadmap on which skills to enhance. Although it can be a complex process, here you will discover how to start this project successfully in this blog. You have the step by step here. Keep reading!
What is a training plan?
The training plan is an educational and training program whose purpose is to develop knowledge or skills of collaborators. so that they can apply them in their workplace. This plan must be executed in an organized and systematized manner. In addition, it must be created transversally between all departments of the company or organization.
Make a training plan implies the work in the area of people, human resources or organizational development in:
- Identify training needs.
- Contrast them with the expectations and skill needs that leaders have.
- Systematize the findings and make a proposal or curriculum for training.
- Apply training and evaluate its effects on the organization.
Why is it important to make a training plan?
Training collaborators is a relevant process. It should not be executed just to meet goals or be up to date with any regulations.. Training should be a commitment that adds value to the company, whether in knowledge, experiences or problem solving.
This is confirmed by various studies. In the last Global Trends in Human Capital report by Deloitte, emphasizes strengthening skills. The study emphasizes that a competency-based approach to work management makes it easier to find the expected human talent. According to Deloitte, Organizations that are focused on enhancing skills are 107% more likely to effectively position talent and 98% more likely to retain high performers.
In summary, making a training plan will ensure:
- Constant updating in skills or knowledge necessary for the job.
- Reduction of worker turnover.
- Accelerate tasks and processes between different departments of the company.
- Organization is seen as good practice.
Benefits of making a training plan
Following this line, the benefits of updating this knowledge will not only position organizations as precursors of innovation, but They will also bring benefits, both to employees and to the company itself. Among the most relevant we find:
- Time optimization.
- Increasing the commitment of your collaborators with the organization.
- Greater retention of talent within the company.
As you see, there are many the reasons why you should start a training process in your organization. However, it can be a long and complex process due to all the aspects to consider. However, today you will know the 7 steps to make a training plan in a simple and effective way.
Why make a training plan?
We know that making a training plan is an administrative process that can be complex. Analyze the different needs of your collaborators, compare suppliers, methodologies, report results and motivating attendance and adherence to programs are just some of the challenges you have seen.
However, it is one of the best investments you can make. This is confirmed by the Linkedin Workplace Learning Report, where the 89% of training and development professionals agree that “developing workers' skills will help prepare them for the future scenario”.
So, how to start this process? To start off, a base is always good. Next, we will present the 9 essential steps to consider to make your training plan.
9 steps to develop a training plan
1.- DNC or Diagnosis of Training Needs:
It is known as Capacitation needs' detection. It is a study done by organizations with purpose of identifying the needs and requirements for skills or tools that workers have. This process will help you know what the real priorities are when training your collaborators. Besides, you will be able to have results regarding the expectations of collaborators and leaders. Also tools such as surveys working environment will contribute to this process.
Thanks to a DNC you will be able to know:
- The main topics of interest by area of the company
- The current state of skills, competencies or knowledge of your collaborators
- Know the expectations and motivations of workers and leaders in relation to their training
2.- SMART objectives of the training
Do you know the meaning of the word “SMART”? You have surely heard it on more than one occasion and it will help in building your training plan. SMART is an acronym in English to define specific, measurable, achievable and relevant objectives in a given time. Knowing this, it is important that all the objectives you determine contain these factors. For this, the following questions can help you:
- How will I be able to determine if this process is successful?
- What results am I looking for?
- Are these results aligned with my organization's goals?
- Will I be able to get them in a quarter, semester or in a year?
3.- Training method: e-Learning, hybrid or in-person?
There is no correct answer to this question. He training method Ideal to consider in your 2024 training plan will depend on the tool or knowledge to be promoted. Can you imagine learning to drive a truck in a remote 100% course? Most likely not. And we can also ask you about digital tools: Do they make sense to you? learn excel listening to a teacher about the COUNTIF function instead of learning using practical exercises that you will face in your work life? Certainly not!
The best training method will be the one that:
- It adapts to the work of a particular area of your company.
- May have relevant examples applied to the job.
- Have reports on the performance and assistance of your different teams for decision making.
- Be flexible to your organization's schedules and workday types.
- Can generate an environment to share knowledge.
4.- Budget and financing of training
It's time to talk about one of the most relevant factors when investing in training: budget. This because of The money you have will determine the provider to train. To plan and figure out how to put together your budget, first consider the basic items: Does the training require the mobilization of your teams? Consider transportation. Will the process take more than 4 hours? Think about including food. Also, analyze If you will need supplies for training or if those expenses are included in the program offered by the provider.
5.- Prioritize training attendees
Training all employees of a company is the best scenario, however, is unrealistic. The resources assigned to execute the training plan may be scarce, therefore, It is essential to prioritizer. Lean on the findings of the Capacitation needs' detection and determines who to propose the training to according to:
- Results of your job performance evaluation.
- Diagnostic measurement of critical tools or skills depending on your job.
- Motivation and enthusiasm of the team in training.
- ROI projection that the trained collaborator can deliver to the company.
6.- Choose the training provider
Choosing a good supplier is probably one of the parts most relevant to your training plan. When you know when, what, who to train and you have the budget available, it is time to look for who to work with. In the market today there are many options that They vary in methodologies, formats, modalities and a long etcetera. This is why it is important that, when making a quote, you ask all the necessary questions in accordance with the objectives you set at the beginning.
As we mentioned, there are many offers on the market today, some more accessible than others, as well as more or less effective. In that sense, It is important that you stay true to your program. We know it's tempting to buy a course for a low budget, but is it really worth it if it won't have any benefits for your teams? Always try to keep this balanced.
7.- Execute the training
The execution of training is a crucial stage in the development of skills and knowledge. This is where the training plan is fully applied. During execution you must corroborate:
- Compliance with the start and end deadlines for training. You can organize each of the training actions through a work plan. In Ninja Excel we have a Essential Excel spreadsheet for you.
- Monitor the attendance of collaborators at training sessions.
- Answer questions and queries regarding the content of the training or the use of the platform where the training is carried out.
8.- Certify training
It's time to share what you've learned! A fundamental step to complete any training plan is the remuneration of the certifications. It can be a certificate, a badge or a diploma. This will be the way to verify the hours dedicated to learning and the topic learned. With a certification, you can guarantee:
- The understanding of the knowledge that a collaborator has on a particular or general topic.
- The hours of study dedicated.
- Validation code that checks the authenticity of the certificate.
9.- Measure the success of your training plan
As we told you above, SMART is an acronym in English in which the “M” is measurable which in Spanish means “measurable.” In that sense, in order to calculate the success of your training program you need to define a frame of reference.
¿Have you heard about KPI, OKR, or ROI? These are all forms of measurement that point to different visions. The KPIs or Key Performance Indicators They usually respond to specific projects and are usually quantitative, while OKRs or Objectives and Key Results, are defined around the organization's vision to align efforts and have both quantitative and qualitative aspects.
The ROI or Return on Investment something different works. It starts from the premise: “until proven otherwise, the investment is an expense”, so we must analyze the return of each investment through the benefits obtained from it. If you are interested in knowing more about this, you can check out our webinar “Measuring the Impact of Training: A pending challenge for Latam” that we did with Rodrigo Lara, Lead Partner of the ROI Institute.
7 high-impact tips for developing the 2024 Training Plan
In summary, to develop a training plan that achieves the desired learning and development effects in the team, we advise you to do the following:
- Communicate the purpose and objectives of the training: Make sure that all collaborators and those in charge of the training plan understand its purpose and objectives. This will help ensure that everyone is on the same page and working toward the same results.
- Conduct surveys with your workers: The best source of information about performance and learning needs is your current collaborators. They know in which areas or topics they have opportunity for improvement.
- Promotes a “constant learning” mentality: Let nothing stop you! Be an active member in fostering a culture of continuous learning in your organization. This will help keep employees engaged and motivated to continue growing professionally.
- Regularly report on training results: It is important to keep everyone involved in the process informed. The people area, department leaders and the company as a whole must know the progress and results of the training plan. This will help demonstrate the value of the training and maintain engagement with the process.
- Make sure your training program is aligned with the strategic goals of the business: Get the support of leaders, know the company's goals and strategy. This way, you will know how your training program can impact those objectives.
- Deliver training using methods that will lead to key results: Choose delivery methods that are effective for your target audience and lead to the desired results. You can learn more in this article about the different training methods.
- Measure and repeat: Finally, it is important to measure the effectiveness of your training plan and make adjustments as necessary. This involves taking the feedback of workers with satisfaction surveys, conduct formal performance evaluations, or use other metrics to measure workplace impact.
Get your 2024 Training Plan form
It's time to take your team to the next level! At Ninja Excel we have prepared the following template that will be your indispensable ally to organize your 2024 training plan and apply all the advice in this note. With this spreadsheet you will be able to:
- Register the data of all the members of your company according to variables such as name, area, identification number, among others.
- Access to a dashboard with performance data and investment in training.
- Record of training times and contents